Using Freading eBooks
1) You need to have a valid library card from a library that has contracted the Freading eBook Service. Although www.freading.com is visible on the World Wide Web, you will be prompted for a valid library card before you can actually download a book. Only library cards from subscribing libraries will work. Valid users can enter the site either from the web or via their subscribing library web site.
2) You need to decide on what device that you will read the eBooks. The most popular devices that are compatible with Freading eBooks are:
- Any computer or laptop running a Windows or Mac platform with at least a modest hard drive, some free RAM, and a browser that has been updated in the past year or two. Major browsers such as IE, Safari, Firefox, and Chrome will show the site just fine.
- The nook family of devices from Barnes & Noble. We have specifically tested the nook Color and the Simple Touch Reader. The nook devices are not compatible with direct wireless downloading of Freading eBooks, but they accept transfers from your PC or Mac through a simple process.
- The Apple iPad® and iPhone®. The Freading eBook service has a free application in the Apple App Store which you can download. You must use the general browser to access your library’s Freading site, then you download the eBook into the application. Direct downloading from within the application is not possible.
- Most Android™ based tablets and phones. We say “most” because some devices are Android based, but do not allow access to the full Android App Market, but a subset of that store. The Freading eBook Service has a free application in the Android app Market, and tablets that allow you to download the app include tablets from Motorola, Sony, Samsung and Acer, among others. Downloading is possible from within the Freading Android App.
- The Kobo Ereader and Vox tablet. The Freading App is in the Getjar App store.
- The Kindle Fire, but not other Kindle Devices. The Kindle Fire accepts 3rd party apps through a few extra steps as indicated below.
3) All mobile device users will need an Adobe ID in order to activate their Freading app for use. If users do not already have an Adobe ID, they can create an ID by visiting the Adobe website .
eReader users (Nook, Sony Reader, Kobo) will also need an Adobe ID in order to utilize the Adobe® Digital Editions software on their PC. Adobe Digital Editions is a software program similar to iTunes in that it manages downloads and stores the eBooks on your PC. The Freading eBook site can tell you whether the Adobe Digital Editions software is on your computer. You can follow the link on the Freading homepage to download the Adobe Digital Editions software for free.
If the eReading device is not compatible with the Freading app (Nook, Sony Reader, Kobo), then the eBooks will need to be transferred from their PC to their eReader through the Adobe Digital Editions software.
Freading on Kindle Fire
It takes a few extra steps to get the Freading application on the Kindle Fire, but once it is set up,most users report that it is easy to use. (Please note: on some versions of the Kindle Fire users are warned that loading applications this way is less private and there is a risk of “unexpected behavior”.)
- Go to the settings on the Kindle Fire (it is the bicycle gear icon at the top) and go to “device”. Turn on the switch for allowing unknown applications.
- Go to the browser on your Kindle Fire and type in m.getjar.com.
- You may be prompted to install the GetJar app at this point, tap 'download' if you are prompted. If not, search for 'getjar' on this site
- After you find the GetJar app, tap to download it to your Kindle Fire.
- A little number icon will appear in a circle next to the name of the Kindle at the top of the display when the download is complete. Tap the number and follow the on screen instructions to install it.
- Tap the back arrow on the screen to go back to browse the GetJar store.
- Search for and download the Freading app.
- As above, a number icon will appear by the name of the device to indicate the download is complete. Tap the number to find the file to install
- The Freading app will show up on the home page of the Fire now. The first time you turn the Kindle off after the install, you may need to press the sync/refresh button, which is in the first menu after pressing the settings gear icon.
- Use Freading through the browser (go back to your library's Freading site) and download into the Freading app, or from within the app itself by tapping the 'store' icon.
Note: If the popup does not appear automatically for the GetJar app when you first visit the website (m.getjar.com) you can manually download it by clicking any of the apps on the screen. After this, proceed with step 5.