Barrett Branch Library
The Barrett Branch Library was built in 1937 and named in honor of Kate Waller Barrett, a humanitarian, social crusader and political reformer. It is the second largest collection in the Alexandria Library with more than 100,000 items. The Branch, located in the Old Town section of Alexandria, was renovated and expanded in 1995 and reconfigured in April 2000 to house the historical and genealogical research collections formerly located at Lloyd House. The Branch offers a wide array of children’s programs for babies through age 5 and a library sponsored book discussion group, “Let’s Talk Books.”
The Foundation Center at Barrett Branch
Alexandria Library collaborates with The Foundation Center as a Regional Cooperating Collection: a large collection of Foundation Center print and online resources, including online training, are located at the Barrett. Foundation and Grant classes, arranged by Barrett staff, are offered to patrons. Although Barrett is the home location for this special collection, all Alexandria Library branches have electronic access to both "The Foundations Directory Online" and "The Foundation Grants to Individuals Online" databases on their Catalog computers.
Become a Friend of the Barrett Library
The Friends play an important role in cementing ties between the library and the community. They provide funds for children's programs as well as equipment and materials that enhance library services through book sales, membership dues and fund raising projects.
Check the calendar for information on events and programs at Barrett Branch Library.