What is "Kindle for PC"?
Kindle for PC is a free application that lets you read Kindle books on your Windows-based personal computer--no Kindle required. This allows you to checkout Kindle formatted eBooks from the Library's OverDrive collection to read on your computer even if you do not own an Amazon Kindle device.
Kindle for PC lets you read Kindle books on your Windows-based personal computer running Windows XP with Service Pack 2+, Windows Vista, or Windows 7--no Kindle required. Kindle for PC offers most of the features you would find on a Kindle, Kindle DX, or other Kindle applications for computers and mobile devices. With Kindle for PC you can:
- Look up words as you read with the dictionary feature.
- Automatically save and synchronize last page read and annotations across all your Kindle devices.
- Purchase, download, and read hundreds of thousands of books available in the Kindle Store.
- Access book previously purchased from the Kindle Store.
- Choose from many different font sizes and adjust words per line.
- Multi-column view: Read books in one- or multiple-column view.
- Add and view notes and highlights and synchronize them across all your Kindle devices and applications.
- View Kindle Print Replica books -- Exact replicas of physical textbooks.
If you do not have an Amazon Kindle device you can download the "Kindle App for PC" to read Alexandria Library eBooks from the OverDrive digital book collection that are formatted for Kindle devices.
To send Kindle content to Kindle for PC from Amazon.com:
- Visit the Manage your Kindle page.
- Locate the title you wish to download in the Your Kindle Library section.
- Click Actions, "Deliver to my" and then select your Kindle for PC application from the "Deliver to" pull-down menu. Click the Deliver button to send your Kindle content to your Kindle for PC application.