Alexandria Library is a great library system to work for, rich in history and located in a city which boasts incredible diversity. We proudly reflect that diversity, with 22 different languages spoken by our 102 staff members. Positions include full-time, part- time, and seasonal jobs in both professional and paraprofessional capacities. Vacancies are posted as they occur, so check back often. Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities at Alexandria Library!
Librarian IV Central Library Manager -- Full Time -- Beatley Central Library
Library Page (Temporary) -- Part Time -- Barrett Branch Library
The Librarian IV is responsible for the operation of the City of Alexandria’s Central Library, the largest library in the system. This position manages several citywide library services, including Interlibrary Loan Service, Talking Books Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, and Outreach Services. The Librarian IV supervises the Circulation, Adult Services and Youth Services Section Managers of the Central Library. The Librarian IV receives general supervision from the Deputy Director of Libraries.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepares annual goals and objectives for the Central Library
- Plans and coordinates the library services of the Central Library
- Supervises the Section Managers of the Central Library
- Delegates library duties, assigns special projects and approves leave
- Evaluates work performances of Section Managers
- Plans monthly meetings with Section Managers
- Responsible for system-wide Outreach Services through Circulation, Adult Services, Youth Services and Talking Book Service
- Interviews and hires staff for the Central Library
- Responsible for developing and evaluating adult material collections
- Interprets library policies, resolves patron complaints and provides library information for the public
- Writes monthly, annual, and special reports for Library Administration
- Participates in the development of new library policies and procedures for the library system
- Reviews and writes personnel budget recommendations for Library Administration
- Liaison for the Friends of the Library at the Central Library
- Plans special library programs at the Central Library
- Conducts library tours for community groups
- Secures and ensures the security of the building and the safety of employees
- Represents the library at regional professional meetings and community meetings
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Thorough knowledge of professional library principles, methods, materials and practices, especially as they relate to the field of specialization; thorough professional knowledge of reader interest levels and books and authors; ability to analyze professional and administrative problems, to make recommendations, and take appropriate actions in their solution; ability to utilize electronic databases and computers; ability to supervise and train professional, paraprofessional and support staff in the various activities of a branch library or a major section of the library; ability to interpret library policies and objectives to community groups, public officials, business and education leaders and the general public; ability to participate in the development or improvement of professional library methods and standards and to establish and maintain effective public relations.
Minimum: Master's Degree in Library & Information Science from an ALA-accredited school; at least five years of experience in professional library work, including three or more years of experience in a supervisory capacity at the level of Librarian III; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Applicant must possess or obtain, within 3 months of hire, a license to practice as a registered professional librarian issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Salary: $60,815.04 - $97,718.40
Hours are scheduled to meet the staffing needs of the library, and will include days, evenings, two Saturdays per month, and occasional Sundays at the Beatley Central Library.
Earns annual and sick leave and is eligible for health insurance, retirement, life insurance, long-term disability insurance and long-term care insurance.
Send/Fax Cover Letter, Resume and three References to:
Renée DiPilato, Deputy Director of Libraries, Alexandria Library, 5005 Duke Street, Alexandria, VA, 22304-2903, Phone 703.746.1701, Fax 703.746.1789; firstname.lastname@example.org or online.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received by May 30, 2014 will be given first consideration.
BARRETT BRANCH LIBRARY
The Alexandria Library is looking for a dynamic team player to join the Circulation team at Barrett Branch. The ideal candidate will have exceptional customer service skills and the desire to contribute to a busy, library.
- Shelving library materials;
- Sorting book carts;
- Checking shelf order;
- Shifting books in order to maintain neat and appealing shelves;
- Clearing book drops;
- Assisting other staff as requested;
- Assisting patrons with locating information and materials;
- Dusting, organizing and clean up as necessary and
- Additional duties as assigned which may include Circulation Desk functions.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to read, write, count and communicate well with others in English;
- Good alphabetic and numeric skills;
- Be responsible and reliable;
- Be able to work with minimal supervision;
- Have the ability to work harmoniously with both the public and co-workers;
- Ability to work independently on feet standing or walking for periods up to an hour; and
- Ability to bend, stoop, lift and stretch in order to manage materials.
High School Diploma or GED is required; some college education is preferred. You must be able to physically lift and carry materials either loose or in bags/boxes weighing up to 40 pounds. Must be able to push fully loaded book carts. A knowledge of, or willingness to learn, library practices (including the use of computers and other technologies) is necessary. Previous library experience is helpful.
Salary: $13.671 per hour
This position is seasonal and not eligible for benefits.
This position is 14 hours per week, usually in three or four hour shifts, including Saturdays. Hours are scheduled to meet the needs of the Library. Schedule may include occasional Sunday hours.
Send/Email/Fax Cover Letter, Resume and three References to:
Sandra Cahill, Circulation Manager, Barrett Branch Library, Alexandria Library, 717 Queen Street, Alexandria, VA 22314, Phone 703.746.1712, Fax 703.746.1789, email@example.com or online.
The position is open until filled, however resumes received by July 21, 2014 will receive first consideration.