Alexandria Library is a great library system to work for, rich in history and located in a city which boasts incredible diversity. We proudly reflect that diversity, with 22 different languages spoken by our 102 staff members. Positions include full-time, part- time, and seasonal jobs in both professional and paraprofessional capacities. Vacancies are posted as they occur, so check back often. Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities at Alexandria Library!
Branch Manager, Librarian III -- Full Time -- Duncan Branch
Library Page -- Part Time -- Beatley Central
Duncan Branch Library
The Librarian III is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the City of Alexandria’s Duncan Branch Library. The Librarian III supervises the Section Managers of the Duncan Branch Library and receives general supervision from the Deputy Director of Libraries.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepares annual goals and objectives for the Duncan Branch Library;
- Plans and coordinates library services;
- Supervises staff including delegating duties, assigning special projects, approving leave, evaluating work performance;
- Interviews, selects and trains staff;
- Schedules, plans and leads monthly meetings with staff;
- Responsible for developing and evaluating adult material collections;
- Interprets library policies, resolves customer complaints and provides library information for the public;
- Writes monthly, annual, and special reports for Library Administration;
- Recommends revising or developing new library policies and procedures for Library Administration;
- Liaison for the Friends of the Library at the Duncan Branch Library;
- Plans special library programs at the Duncan Branch Library;
- Secures and ensures the security of the building and the safety of employees; and
- Represents the library at regional professional meetings and community meetings.
Skills and Abilities:
- Management and supervisory skills, including team building, time management, and planning; ability to supervise and train professional, paraprofessional and support staff in the various activities of a branch library or a major section of the library;
- Excellent customer service and communication skills, both written and oral;
- Knowledge of integrated library systems and emerging technologies;
- Familiarity with reference services using a variety of print and electronic resources
- Ability to establish and maintain professional working relationships with a diverse group of employees and library customers
- Ability to analyze professional and administrative issues and make recommendations for their solution
- Thorough knowledge of professional library principles, methods, materials and practices, especially as they relate to the field of specialization;
- Thorough professional knowledge of reader interest levels, books and authors, periodical and pamphlet materials and appropriate library guides and publications;
- Ability to utilize electronic databases and computers and to perform database searches;
- Ability to understand and interpret library policies and objectives to community groups, public officials, business and education leaders and the general public; and
- Ability to participate in the development or improvement of professional library methods and standards, and to establish and maintain effective public relations.
- Master’s degree in Library Science from an accredited ALA library school
- 3-5 years supervisory/management experience of professional and paraprofessional staff
- Previous public library experience
- Applicant must possess or obtain, within 3 months of hire, a license to practice as a registered professional librarian issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Active involvement in ALA, PLA and/or other related professional association.
Salary: $58,498.96 - $83,893.16
The City’s promotional policy states that an employee who is promoted will be placed on the pay grade associated with their new job classification on the step held prior to promotion unless the increase exceeds 20%, in which case the employee will receive a salary adjustment of 20% plus placement on the next higher step of the new grade, or the minimum of the new grade, whichever is greater. In no case may the employee's salary exceed the maximum salary of the new pay grade.
Benefits: Earns annual and sick leave and is eligible for health insurance, retirement, life insurance, long-term disability insurance and long-term care insurance.
Schedule: Hours are scheduled to meet the staffing needs of the library, and will include days, evenings, two Saturdays per month, and occasional Sundays at the Beatley Central Library.
Apply online attaching one document containing a cover letter, resume and three (3) professional references, preferably supervisory. Address Cover Letter to Renée DiPilato, Deputy Director of Libraries, Alexandria Library, 5005 Duke Street, Alexandria, VA 22304. Contact with questions: 703-746-1701, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Open until filled, however applications received by December 19, 2014 will receive first preference.
Beatley Central Library
The Alexandria Library is looking for a dynamic team player to join the Circulation team at the Beatley Library. The ideal candidate will have exceptional customer service skills and the desire to contribute to a busy, central library.
- Shelving library materials;
- Sorting book carts;
- Checking shelf order;
- Shifting books in order to maintain neat and appealing shelves;
- Clearing book drops;
- Assisting other staff as requested;
- Assisting patrons with locating information and materials;
- Dusting, organizing and clean up as necessary and
- Additional duties as assigned which may include Circulation Desk functions.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to read, write, count and communicate well with others in English;
- Good alphabetic and numeric skills;
- Be responsible and reliable;
- Be able to work with minimal supervision;
- Have the ability to work harmoniously with both the public and co-workers;
- Ability to work independently on feet standing or walking for periods up to an hour; and
- Ability to bend, stoop, lift and stretch in order to manage materials.
High School Diploma or GED is required; some college education is preferred. You must be able to physically lift and carry materials either loose or in bags/boxes weighing up to 40 pounds. Must be able to push fully loaded book carts. A knowledge of, or willingness to learn, library practices (including the use of computers and other technologies) is necessary. Previous library experience is helpful.
Compensation: $13.671 per hour
Location: Beatley Central Library, 5005 Duke Street, Alexandria, VA 22304-2903
Schedule: This position is 15 hours per week, usually in three or four hour shifts, including Sundays. Hours are scheduled to meet the needs of the Beatley Library. Currently Sundays are worked on an alternating basis.
This position is seasonal and not eligible for benefits.
Apply online attaching one document containing a cover letter, resume and three (3) professional references, preferably supervisory. Address Cover Letter to Donald Sidbury, Page Supervisor, Beatley Central Library, 5005 Duke Street, Alexandria, VA 22304. Contact with questions: 703-746-1701, or email@example.com.
Open until filled, however applications received by December 23, 2014 will receive first preference.