Le Tour d'Alexandria Library
On Saturday, October 25, 2014, Alexandria Library is hosting its second annual bicycle tour of all Alexandria Library locations. Bring your bike and join library staff for a leisurely 2-hour loop starting and ending at Duncan Branch Library, 2501 Commonwealth Ave. Check our Facebook page for photos from last year's inaugural ride.
Free gifts and prizes will be given away.
This year we will also be highlighting a significant historical milestone: the 75th anniversary of the 1939 sit-in at the Alexandria Library. One of the nation’s most little-known historical events involved leadership from native Alexandrian, attorney Samuel W. Tucker, and five young African American men who demonstrated an act of civil disobedience at the Barrett Branch after being denied library cards. This year’s tour looks to highlight this event by including historical background on the 1939 event.
Registration for the event is required, as space on the tour is limited. Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent/guardian. To learn more about bicycling, check out our catalog and online resources in our Bicycling & Running Subject Guide.
Le tour basics
- Registration is required and can be completed using the online form below or by calling April DeRome(703-746-1754) to register by phone.
- Participants must sign a waiver/release of liability and parental consent/release agreement which is available online for printing. The waiver will also be provided the day of the tour for signing.
- Helmets are required.
- Check-in will start at 9:30 a.m. on Saturday, October 25 at Duncan Branch Library.
- Tour will begin at 10 a.m. and end at approximately 12 p.m.
- Distance is approximately 13 miles and will be at a leisurely pace.
- A map of the tour will be provided.
- Snacks and water will be provided.
- In case of inclement weather the event will be cancelled. Staff will contact registered participants to confirm cancellation.
For more information
- Phone: 703-746-1754 (April DeRome)
- Email: April DeRome at email@example.com
*Refreshments courtesy of Friends of Duncan Library and KIND Snacks.