James M. Duncan, Jr.
James M. Duncan was born in Alexandria and attended local schools. He graduated from the University of Virginia in 1921. Mr. Duncan joined the Fire Department as a volunteer and became Chief in 1924, retiring from this position in 1947. In 1949, Mr. Duncan was first elected to the City Council, and served until his death in 1967. He was appointed to the Library Board in 1950 and served there for 17 years, working to extend library service to all areas of the city. Soon after his death, the Library Board suggested that the proposed Del Ray branch be named in his honor. Mr. Duncan was a president of the Alexandria Chamber of Commerce and was twice director of the Virginia Chamber of Commerce. He was also a president of the Virginia Municipal League and the Rotary Club.