Alexandria Library is a great library system to work for, rich in history and located in a city which boasts incredible diversity. We proudly reflect that diversity, with 22 different languages spoken by our 102 staff members. Positions include full-time, part- time, and seasonal jobs in both professional and paraprofessional capacities. Vacancies are posted as they occur, so check back often. Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities at Alexandria Library!
Sunday Services Manager, Librarian II -- Part Time
SUNDAY SERVICES MANAGER, LIBRARIAN II - PT/20 HOURS
BEATLEY CENTRAL LIBRARY
The Alexandria Library is looking for an enthusiastic individual to lead its Sunday Services team. The ideal candidate will have exceptional customer service skills and the desire to contribute to a busy, main library. Under the direction of the Adult Services Manager, this position is responsible for supervising the activities of the Sunday Adult Services Department, including hiring, training and evaluating personnel, scheduling staff, collection development, planning programs, and a variety of duties that require a thorough knowledge of adult services.
- Directs and coordinates the activities of the Sunday Adult Services Section by formulating goals, plans, procedures, priorities, and schedules.
- Hires, trains, and evaluates Sunday staff within the Adult Services Department at the Central Library.
- Assists customers with requests for information and library materials.
- Instructs customers on the use of the library’s online, digital and print resources.
- Assists with collection development and maintenance for the library’s circulating and reference collections.
- Monitors equipment, such as computers, photocopiers, and printers and requests service as needed.
- Stays aware of professional trends and continually works to improve adult services.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Comprehensive knowledge of information resources and adult services.
- Management and supervisory skills, including team building, time management, and planning.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Extensive knowledge of technology including digital services, integrated library systems, and online databases.
- Ability to adapt to a rapidly changing library environment.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with staff.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
Minimum: Master’s Degree in Library & Information Science from an ALA-accredited school; two years’ experience as a Librarian I; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities; supervisory experience preferred. Applicant must possess or obtain, within 3 months of hire, a license to practice as a registered professional librarian by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Salary: $25,018.24 - $30,581.20
Schedule: Hours are scheduled to meet the staffing needs of the library, and will include every Sunday in addition to day and evening shifts.
Benefits: Earns annual and sick leave and is eligible for health insurance and supplemental retirement.
Email/Fax Cover Letter, Resume and three references to:
Kevin Osborne, Adult Services Manager, Beatley Central Library, 5005 Duke Street, Alexandria, VA, 22304-2903, Phone 703.746.1702, Fax 703-746-1789; email@example.com or online.
Open until filled, however resumes received by August 22, 2014 will receive first consideration.