Alexandria Library is a great library system to work for, rich in history and located in a city which boasts incredible diversity. We proudly reflect that diversity, with 22 different languages spoken by our 102 staff members. Positions include full-time, part- time, and seasonal jobs in both professional and paraprofessional capacities. Vacancies are posted as they occur, so check back often. Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities at Alexandria Library!
Adult Services Manager, Librarian II -- Full Time -- Barrett Branch
Adult Services Manager
Barrett Branch Library
The Adult Services Manager is responsible for operations of the Barrett Branch Library Adult Services Team and reports to the Branch Manager.
- Supervises and schedules one full-time Librarian I and one part- time library assistant
- Interviews and selects new employees
- Oversees and provides training on the use of the Foundation Center database and collection to the public and library staff
- Oversees all aspects of adult programming and special events including planning, implementation and logistics
- Answers all types of reference questions using traditional, online, and internet sources
- Develops and implements goals for unit and programs annually
- Interprets policies and explains library procedures and rules to the public
- Functions as building officer in the branch manager’s absence
- Reviews professional journals and selects titles for purchase
- Acquires materials in a variety of formats that reflect the diversity and needs of the community
- Weeds and updates the collection and evaluates print and digital resources
- Participates on system reference committee
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work with a diverse public customer
- Comprehensive knowledge of information resources and adult services
- Management and supervisory skills, including team building, time management, and planning
- Excellent customer service and communication skills, both written and oral
- Knowledge of automated integrated library systems and comfort with technology
- Knowledge of library policies and procedures
- Familiarity with reference services using a variety of print and electronic resources
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Ability to establish and maintain professional working relationships with other employees and library customers
- Ability to analyze professional and administrative issues and make recommendations for their solution
- Master’s degree in Library Science from an accredited ALA library school
- One year of experience at the level of a Librarian I
- Previous public library experience
- Previous supervisory experience
- Applicant must possess or obtain, within 3 months of hire, a license to practice as a registered professional librarian issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Salary: $50,536.98 – $72,475.52 (gross annually)
A promotion is an event where an employee successfully competes for and is placed in a position with a higher level of responsibility and of a higher pay grade. Employees who compete and receive a promotion are placed on the pay grade associated with the new job classification on the step held prior to promotion unless the increase exceeds 20%, in which case, the employee will receive a 20% increase and placement on the an 20% increase plus placement on the next higher step of the new grade, or the minimum of the new grade, whichever is greater. In no case may the employee’s salary exceed the maximum salary of the new pay grade.
Hours are scheduled to meet the staffing needs of the Barrett Library, and will include days, evenings, two Saturdays per month, and potentially occasional Sundays at the Beatley Central Library.
Earns annual and sick leave and is eligible for health insurance, retirement, life insurance, long-term disability insurance and long-term care insurance.
Apply online attaching one document containing a cover letter, resume and three (3) professional references, preferably supervisory. Address Cover Letter to James Cahill, Barrett Library Branch Manager, Alexandria Library, 717 Queen Street, Alexandria, VA 22314-2420. Contact with questions: 703-746-1711, 703-746-1701, or email@example.com.
Open until filled, however applications received by November 14, 2014 will receive first preference.