Alexandria is a great library system to work for, rich in history and located in a city which boasts incredible diversity. We proudly reflect that diversity, with 22 different languages spoken by our 102 staff members. Positions include full-time, part- time, and seasonal jobs in both professional and paraprofessional capacities. Vacancies are posted as they occur, so check back often. Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities at Alexandria Library!
Librarian I -- Duncan Branch Library -- Full-time 40 Hours
Library Page -- Barrett Branch -- Part-time 14 Hours (Temporary 6 Month Assignment)
Duncan Branch Library
- Staffs the youth services and adult information desks to assist library users of all ages in-person, by phone and email with inquiries regarding library materials, programs, and other sources of information.
- Assists users with the online catalog, electronic reference services, and with the automated internet registration and printing.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships with schools, community groups, agencies and non-profits that target youth and current and potential library users.
- Plans and presents story times for children ages 0-5, programs for school-aged children, and programs for teens.
- Assists the Youth Services Manager to develop and maintain the youth collection through suggesting new materials for purchase and weeding the collection.
- Interprets policies and procedures of the library to the public.
- Furnishes information about library activities, facilities, rules and services.
- Provides technology instruction to customers and troubleshoots in the use of internet, word processing computers, printers, and copiers.
- Provides readers’ advisory services for children, teens, and adults.
- Stays abreast of current trends in literature, technology, and library services.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge of reference sources; knowledge of adult, young adult, and children’s literature; knowledge of developmental, recreational and educational needs of children and young adults; ability to translate needs and interests of children and young adults into effective library services and programs; knowledge of current trends in library services; ability to instruct customers using various technologies; ability to work in a fast paced environment under pressure; ability to assist a diverse population of customers in a calm and courteous manner; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and library customers; and the ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
Master's Degree in Library & Information Science from an ALA-accredited school. One year of library experience preferred. Applicant must possess or obtain, within 3 months of hire, a license to practice as a registered professional librarian issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia. Must be able to drive a car and hold a valid driver's license. Must be able to speak to large groups. Must be able to lift and carry bags of books or boxes weighing up to 40 pounds. Excellent teamwork required.
Schedule: 40 hours per week. Hours are scheduled to meet the needs of the library and will include days, evenings, two Saturdays per month, and possibly Sunday assistance at the Beatley Central Library.
Hiring Range: $46,295.86 - $54,674.88 Annually
Benefits: Eligible for pro-rated annual and sick leave, health insurance, retirement, life insurance and disability insurance.
Location: James M. Duncan, Jr. Branch, 2501 Commonwealth Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22301-1419
Cover Letter, Resume and three references:
Click here to apply attaching one document containing a cover letter, resume and three (3) professional references. Address Cover Letter to Ross Farley, HR Manager, Alexandria Library, 5005 Duke Street, Alexandria, VA 22304. Contact with questions: 703-746-1799.
Position is open until filled; however, applications received on or before October 30, 2015 will receive first consideration.
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Barrett Branch Library
The Alexandria Library is looking for a dynamic team player to join the team at the Barrett Branch Library. The ideal candidate will have exceptional customer service skills and the desire to contribute to a busy library.
- Shelving library materials;
- Sorting book carts;
- Checking shelf order;
- Shifting books in order to maintain neat and appealing shelves;
- Clearing book drops;
- Assisting other staff as requested;
- Assisting patrons with locating information and materials;
- Dusting, organizing and clean up as necessary and
- Additional duties as assigned which may include Circulation Desk functions.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to read, write, count and communicate well with others in English;
- Good alphabetic and numeric skills;
- Be responsible and reliable;
- Be able to work with minimal supervision;
- Have the ability to work harmoniously with both the public and co-workers;
- Ability to work independently on feet standing or walking for periods up to an hour; and
- Ability to bend, stoop, lift and stretch in order to manage materials.
High School Diploma or GED is required; some college education is preferred. You must be able to physically lift and carry materials either loose or in bags/boxes weighing up to 40 pounds. Must be able to push fully loaded book carts. A knowledge of, or willingness to learn, library practices (including the use of computers and other technologies) is necessary. Previous library experience is helpful.
Compensation: $13.671 per hour
Location: Barrett Branch Library, 717 Queen Street, Alexandria, VA 22314
Schedule: 14 hours per week. Hours are scheduled to meet the needs of the branch and will include Saturdays
This position is seasonal and not eligible for benefits.
Employment will not extend beyond 6/10/2016
This position is open until filled.