Alexandria Library is a great library system to work for, rich in history and located in a city which boasts incredible diversity. We proudly reflect that diversity, with 22 different languages spoken by our 102 staff members. Positions include full-time, part- time, and seasonal jobs in both professional and paraprofessional capacities. Vacancies are posted as they occur, so check back often. Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities at Alexandria Library!
Sunday Librarian I -- Beatley Central -- (Part-Time, 4 hours)
Library Page -- Burke Branch -- (Part-Time, 10 Hours, Temporary)
BEATLEY CENTRAL LIBRARY
Under the direct supervision of the Sunday Services Manager, the incumbent is responsible for assisting patrons at the Reference/Information Desk and providing general support for the Adult Services Department.
- Answers all types of reference questions using traditional, electronic, and internet sources in an efficient and courteous manner.
- Staffs the information desk to assist library patrons in-person and by phone with inquiries regarding library materials and other sources of information.
- Assists patrons with the online catalog, electronic reference services, and with the automated internet registration and printing.
- Interprets policies and procedures of the library to the public.
- Furnishes information about library activities, facilities, rules and services.
- Helps patrons with other community services provided through the library, including but not limited to, passport processing.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of reference sources; some knowledge of books and authors.
- Ability to instruct patrons using various technologies.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment under pressure.
- Ability to assist a diverse population of patrons in a calm and courteous manner.
- Flexibility and the ability to adapt to a rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and library patrons.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills, both orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of e-Readers and e-Book mobile applications.
- Public library experience.
Master's Degree in Library & Information Science from an ALA-accredited school. Applicant must possess or obtain, within 3 months of hire, a license to practice as a registered professional librarian issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Salary: $ 21.819/hour
Schedule: 4 hours per week – every Sunday 1-5 PM
Location: Beatley Central Library, 5005 Duke Street, Alexandria, VA 22304-2903
Click here to apply, attaching one document containing a cover letter, resume and three (3) professional references, preferably supervisory. Address Cover Letter to Rebecca LaPlante, Librarian II, Charles E Beatley, Jr, Central Library, 5005 Duke Street, Alexandria, VA 22304. Fax to 703-746-1763. For questions, contact 703-746-1701 or email@example.com.
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
BURKE BRANCH LIBRARY
The Alexandria Library is looking for a dynamic team player to join the Circulation team at the Ellen Coolidge Burke Branch Library. The ideal candidate will have exceptional customer service skills and the desire to contribute to a busy, library.
- Shelving library materials;
- Sorting book carts;
- Checking shelf order;
- Shifting books in order to maintain neat and appealing shelves;
- Clearing book drops;
- Assisting other staff as requested;
- Assisting patrons with directional information.
- Dusting, organizing and clean up as necessary
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Shelving periodicals.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to read, write, count and communicate well with others in English;
- Good alphabetic and numeric skills;
- Be responsible and reliable;
- Be able to work with minimal supervision;
- Have the ability to work harmoniously with both the public and co-workers;
- Ability to work independently on feet, standing, or walking for periods up to an hour; and
- Ability to bend, stoop, lift and stretch in order to manage materials.
High School Diploma or GED is required. You must be able to physically lift and carry materials either loose or in bags/boxes weighing up to 40 pounds. Must be able to push fully loaded book carts. A knowledge of, or willingness to learn, library practices (including the use of computers and other technologies) is necessary. Previous library experience is helpful.
Compensation: $13.671 per hour
Location: Ellen Coolidge Burke Branch Library, 4701 Seminary Road, Alexandria, VA 22304
Schedule: 10 hours per week. Hours are scheduled to meet the needs of the branch and may include every other Saturday.
This position is seasonal and not eligible for benefits.
Click here to apply, attaching one document containing a cover letter, resume and three (3) references. Address Cover Letter to Shahana Parvas, Circulation Manager, Ellen Coolidge Burke Branch Library, 4701 Seminary Road, Alexandria, VA, 22304. Fax to 703-746-1775. For questions, contact 703-746-1701 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
This position is open until filled.