More Pencils, More Books, More of Teacher's Friendly Looks...
School is almost back--are you ready? While many of you may have a checklist for school supply shopping, there's great reward in ensuring that young minds are mentally prepared for the school season. Alexandria Library has compiled the list below to assist all children in becoming little scholars. Help your child get excited about learning for the academic year by checking off the simple guide below, and getting familiar with some of Alexandria Library's amazing resources.
- Did you complete your SummerQuest reading?
You can still sign up--registration ends August 31.
- Do you have a library card? You can get this all access key to learning at your local library. Coming soon, library card applications will be acceptable online.
- Have you finished your Alexandria City Public School summer reading project? Enter a title in the search bar above.
- Will you be attending the Family and Community Engagement Center's Back to School Family Night on August 21, from 6 to 8 p.m.? Alexandria Library staff will be presenting, sharing information about library resources that will help you throughout the school year.
Useful Research Tools for Students
- Britannica for Kids: Explore the most trusted online children's encyclopedia for homework help and general knowledge information on a variety of subjects.
- InfoTrac Junior Edition: Designed for students in junior high and middle school this resource provides access to a variety of indexed and full-text magazines, newspapers and reference books for information on current events, the arts, science, popular culture, health, people, government, history, sports and more.
- InfoTrac Junior K-12 Edition: InfoTrac K-12 Junior Edition is a multi-source general interest database designed for elementary schools. It provides indexing, abstracts, and full text children's and general interest magazines, reference books and thousands of newspaper articles.
- Biography in Context: Biography in Context is for those seeking contextual information on the world's most influential people. The new solution merges Gale's authoritative reference content with periodicals and multimedia. Search for people based on name, occupation, nationality, ethnicity, birth/death dates and places, or gender as well as keyword and full text.
- CredoReference Literati: Provides a compelling place to start research on a new topic using comprehensive subject coverage from general or subject encyclopedias, dictionaries, atlases, quotations, thesauri, video, music, and images. Access trustworthy content, quickly build bibliographies and connect to trusted and relevant e-resource materials. Simply click on "homework help" on the right to get started.
- Kids InfoBits: Kids InfoBits is developed especially for beginning researchers in Kindergarten through Grade 5. The curriculum-related, age appropriate, full-text content is from the best elementary reference sources and magazines.
Alexandria Library wishes all students academic achievement for the year, and looks forward to being a part of their success.