5 Early Literacy Components
What makes up Early Literacy knowledge?
- Print Awareness. Understanding how books and print convey meaning.
- Letter Knowledge. Knowing the alphabet and recognizing the shapes of the individual letters.
- Vocabulary. Understanding the meanings of words. The larger the vocabulary, the more the child will understand when spoken to, when read to, and, ultimately, when reading.
- Phonological Awareness. Being able to hear the smaller sounds within words.
- Background Knowledge. Knowing enough about the world in general to make sense of new information and stories.