Alexandria Library is a great library system to work for, rich in history and located in a city which boasts incredible diversity. We proudly reflect that diversity, with 22 different languages spoken by our 102 staff members. Positions include full-time, part- time, and seasonal jobs in both professional and paraprofessional capacities. Vacancies are posted as they occur, so check back often. Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities at Alexandria Library!
Sunday Librarian I -- Beatley Central -- (Part-Time, 4 hours)
BEATLEY CENTRAL LIBRARY
Under the direct supervision of the Sunday Services Manager, the incumbent is responsible for assisting patrons at the Reference/Information Desk and providing general support for the Adult Services Department.
- Answers all types of reference questions using traditional, electronic, and internet sources in an efficient and courteous manner.
- Staffs the information desk to assist library patrons in-person and by phone with inquiries regarding library materials and other sources of information.
- Assists patrons with the online catalog, electronic reference services, and with the automated internet registration and printing.
- Interprets policies and procedures of the library to the public.
- Furnishes information about library activities, facilities, rules and services.
- Helps patrons with other community services provided through the library, including but not limited to, passport processing.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of reference sources; some knowledge of books and authors.
- Ability to instruct patrons using various technologies.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment under pressure.
- Ability to assist a diverse population of patrons in a calm and courteous manner.
- Flexibility and the ability to adapt to a rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and library patrons.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills, both orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of e-Readers and e-Book mobile applications.
- Public library experience.
Master's Degree in Library & Information Science from an ALA-accredited school. Applicant must possess or obtain, within 3 months of hire, a license to practice as a registered professional librarian issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Salary: $ 21.819/hour
Schedule: 4 hours per week – every Sunday 1-5 PM
Location: Beatley Central Library, 5005 Duke Street, Alexandria, VA 22304-2903
Click here to apply, attaching one document containing a cover letter, resume and three (3) professional references, preferably supervisory. Address Cover Letter to Rebecca LaPlante, Librarian II, Charles E Beatley, Jr, Central Library, 5005 Duke Street, Alexandria, VA 22304. Fax to 703-746-1763. For questions, contact 703-746-1701 or email@example.com.
OPEN UNTIL FILLED