Alexandria Library is a great library system to work for, rich in history and located in a city which boasts incredible diversity. We proudly reflect that diversity, with 22 different languages spoken by our 102 staff members. Positions include full-time, part- time, and seasonal jobs in both professional and paraprofessional capacities. Vacancies are posted as they occur, so check back often. Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities at Alexandria Library!
Librarian I -- Duncan Branch -- (Full Time, 40 hours)
DUNCAN BRANCH LIBRARY
- Staffs the youth services and adult information desks to assist library users of all ages in-person, by phone and email with inquiries regarding library materials, programs, and other sources of information.
- Assists users with the online catalog, electronic reference services, and with the automated internet registration and printing.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships with schools, community groups, agencies and non-profits that target youth and current and potential library users.
- Plans and presents story times for children ages 0-5, programs for school-aged children, and programs for teens.
- Assists the Youth Services Manager to develop and maintain the youth collection through suggesting new materials for purchase and weeding the collection.
- Interprets policies and procedures of the library to the public.
- Furnishes information about library activities, facilities, rules and services.
- Provides technology instruction to customers and troubleshoots in the use of internet, word processing computers, printers, and copiers.
- Provides readers’ advisory services for children, teens, and adults.
- Stays abreast of current trends in literature, technology, and library services.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge of reference sources; knowledge of adult, young adult, and children’s literature; knowledge of developmental, recreational and educational needs of children and young adults; ability to translate needs and interests of children and young adults into effective library services and programs; knowledge of current trends in library services; ability to instruct customers using various technologies; ability to work in a fast paced environment under pressure; ability to assist a diverse population of customers in a calm and courteous manner; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and library customers; and the ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
Master's Degree in Library & Information Science from an ALA-accredited school. One year of library experience preferred. Applicant must possess or obtain, within 3 months of hire, a license to practice as a registered professional librarian issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia. Must be able to drive a car and hold a valid driver's license. Must be able to speak to large groups. Must be able to lift and carry bags of books or boxes weighing up to 40 pounds. Excellent teamwork required.
40 hours per week. Hours are scheduled to meet the needs of the library and will include days, evenings, two Saturdays per month, and possibly Sunday assistance at the Beatley Central Library.
$40,352.59 – $69,877.19
The City’s promotional policy states that an employee who is promoted will receive an 8.5% increase plus transition up to the closest step of the new grade, or placed at the minimum of the new grade, whichever is higher. An employee’s new promotional salary may not exceed the maximum salary of the new pay grade.
Eligible for pro-rated annual and sick leave, health insurance, retirement, life insurance and disability insurance.
James M. Duncan, Jr. Branch, 2501 Commonwealth Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22301-1419
Cover Letter, Resume and three references:
Click here to apply, attaching one document containing a cover letter, resume and three (3) professional references, preferably supervisory. Address Cover Letter to Robin Sofge, Youth Services Manager, James M. Duncan, Jr. Branch, 2501 Commonwealth Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22301-1419, Phone 703.746.1784, Fax 703.746.1785; firstname.lastname@example.org.
OPEN UNTIL FILLED